The Department of Transportation (DOT) requires all commercial motor vehicles weighing more than 10,001 pounds to undergo an annual truck inspection. At East Coast Diesel LLC, we offer DOT-compliant inspections in Georgia and North Carolina. If your vehicle requires maintenance to meet the requirements to pass the inspection, we will inform you and provide quotes for these services.
There are six levels of DOT inspections:
- North American Standard Inspection: The most common and most thorough inspection, it involves a look at the driver’s documents (license, daily log, medical card, and inspection reports) and evidence of drug/alcohol use. The vehicle’s brakes, seat belts, tires, suspension, exhaust system, coupling devices, and other systems will be examined as well. This takes about 60 minutes.
- Walk-Around Driver/Vehicle Inspection: Similar to the level one inspection. However, the official checking the truck will only look at items that don’t require going beneath the vehicle. Level two inspections are typically completed in about 30 minutes.
- Driver-Only Inspection: Examining only on the driver’s credentials, a level three inspection involves checking their license, medical card, Skill Performance Evaluation Certificate, Vehicle Inspection Report, and HAZMAT requirements. This takes about 15 minutes. Officials also look for seat belt use and drug and/or alcohol consumption.
- Special Inspection: A level four inspection is a one-time examination of a specific vehicle feature. It is typically performed to validate or refute a claim, trend, or study pertaining to findings in previous inspections.
- Vehicle-Only Inspection: Conducted without the driver present, a level five inspection includes truck systems such as the brakes, steering, fuel, lighting, trailer, emergency exits, cargo, engine, and other systems.
- Enhanced NAS Inspection for Radioactive Shipments: A level six DOT inspection is for truckers hauling radioactive/nuclear materials, medical waste, or other hazardous freight. It includes enhancements to a level one truck inspection. A decal, provided if the vehicle meets level six inspection criteria, is good for only one trip.
You can use a DOT inspection checklist to learn what’s included in each level, but East Coast Diesel LLC is trained to conduct all of these inspections. Upon inspecting your vehicle, we will inform you of your results and let you know if any maintenance is required.
If your fleet or vehicle is due for its DOT annual inspection, bring it to East Coast Diesel LLC. We will thoroughly inspect it to ensure all requirements are met. No more searching for DOT inspection locations. Our mechanics will assist you every step of the way, so call 984-209-1389 to schedule service.